Ohio is a wonderful state to visit, whether you are from out of state, or you want to discover your home state, this article focuses on some of the best things to do in Ohio.
Ohio has a population of nearly 11.8 million. Its capital and largest city is Columbus, with other large cities Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, Akron, and Toledo.
The nickname of Ohio ‘The Buckeye State’ derives from the buckeye trees that grow along the Ohio River Valley. The small nuts the trees produce resemble the eye of a deer. It is considered that carrying a buckeye nut in your pocket is good luck.
The flag of Ohio was officially adopted in 1902 and is the only state flag that is not rectangular.
Cindy’s Insider Ohio Tips!
I have a deep love and appreciation for my home state of Ohio, where my family and I reside. As an Ohioan, I have always been captivated by the rich history, diverse landscapes, and warm hospitality that Ohio has to offer. From the bustling cities of Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati to the quaint small towns and picturesque countryside, Ohio has a wealth of hidden treasures waiting to be discovered.
Things to Do in Central Ohio
The major city in central Ohio is, of course, Columbus. The other cities we are focusing on here are Dublin and Lancaster.
Columbus has a multitude of things to do, places to visit, parks, and shopping experiences. The dropdown box below gives details of 10 great things to do and places to visit in Columbus.
Dublin, as the name may suggest, has very strong Irish roots. Located in the northwest corner of central Ohio, Dublin is the second largest city in this region.
- Check out our article for more information on things to do in Dublin!
Lancaster is in the southeast of central Ohio and is the gateway to the Hocking Hills region. It is the county seat of Fairfield County and also hosts the Fairfield County Fair each year.
- Check out our article for more information on things to do in Lancaster!
Other Places to Visit in Central Ohio
- Newark | Licking County
- Delaware | Delaware County
Things to Do in Northwest Ohio
Northwest Ohio has a coastline along Lake Erie. The largest city in the northwest is Toledo, with other cities such as Sandusky and Put in Bay.
Toledo is in the north of the northwest region of Ohio, and it sits on the Maumee River and Maumee Bay area of Lake Erie.
- Check out our article about things to do in Toledo!
Sandusky is the county seat of Erie County and is located on the shores of Lake Erie. This is a place where visitors will feel they are on vacation as soon as they arrive
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Sandusky!
Put in Bay
Put in Bay is one of Ohio’s most visited vacation destinations. Situated on South Bass Island, surrounded by Lake Erie, you would not be wrong in thinking there are a lot of water activities available here. However, Put in Bay has so much more going on too!
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Put in Bay!
More Places to Visit in Northwest Ohio
Things to Do in Northeast Ohio
Northeast Ohio is the most populated region of Ohio, with cities such as Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, Canton, and Mansfield.
Cleveland has six script signs around the city in perfect photo-op locations. Even if you don’t know much about Cleveland, you will have seen the script signs across the internet or in movies.
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Cleveland!
Akron has the Ohio and Erie Canal running through it, separating east from west. It was once the Rubber Capital of the World, being home to Goodrich, Goodyear, Firestone, and General Tire companies.
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Akron!
Youngstown sits on the eastern edge of Ohio. It is the county seat of Mahoning County. Before World War II, Youngstown had a booming steel industry.
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Youngstown!
More Places to Visit in Northeast Ohio
- Mansfield | Richland County
- Cuyahoga Falls | Summit County
- Canton | Stark County
- Lorain | Lorain County
- Berlin | Holmes County
- Millersburg | Holmes County
- Sugarcreek | Tuscarawas County
Things to Do in Southeast Ohio
Southeast Ohio is home to the stunningly beautiful Hocking Hills region, which is just east of central Ohio. Notable cities in the southeast are Athens, Marietta, and Chillicothe.
Logan is in the heart of the Hocking Hills region, and benefits from the stunning countryside this region has to offer. Many of the Hocking Hills visitor attractions are located in or around Logan, but there are also many other things to do in this delightful town.
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Logan!
Located along the Scioto River, Chillicothe was once Ohio’s capital city. It is the only city in Ross County.
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Chillicothe!
Athens is the county seat of Athens County and is located along the Hocking River in southeast Ohio.
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Athens!
More Places to Visit in Southeast Ohio
- Marietta | Washington County
- Coshocton | Coshocton County
Things to Do in Southwest Ohio
Southwest Ohio has two large cities, Cincinnati and Dayton. Other cities in the southwest include Mason, Yellow Springs, and Hamilton.
Cincinnati is Ohio’s third largest city by inner-city population, and the largest by metro population. The city crosses the Ohio River into Kentucky and crosses the county line into Indiana.
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Cincinnati!
Dayton is known as the home of the Wright Brothers, so there are many visitor attractions dedicated to them and flying in general in Dayton.
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Dayton!
Located in Greene County, Yellow Springs has a tiny population of just over 3,500 and an area of 2.02 square miles. Yellow Springs is, however, a great place to visit for anyone!
- Check out our article for more information about things to do in Yellow Springs!
More Places to Visit in Southwest Ohio
- Beavercreek | Greene County
- Springfield | Clark County
- Hamilton | Butler County
- Mason | Warren County
Let’s Visit Ohio Today!
Have you visited any of these places in Ohio? Do you think we have missed a gem that you love to visit? Leave a comment below and share your experience.